Monday, June 9, 2014

Rave Rotti / Semolina Flatbread


People have started asking me now, how I get the time to try many cooking and baking recipes and even blog about them, with an almost 8-month old. Well, I guess if one wants to do something, one figures out a way to! I tell them I get more time now, than when I did with him in my tummy!! Being the footballer he is, he'd kick every food that went into my tummy and I'd throw up almost every meal! Which left me with not much of an appetite to eat or cook! Seems so funny now, to look back... how I hated cooking or anything to do with food, except occasionally enjoying eating out. The interesting meals that D or Amma churned out frequently, tailored to suit my changed taste buds, the super sensitive nose, changed tummy capacity, with reduced spice levels would please me only occasionally... and then there was this question of whether the little fellow inside would decide to not it kick out!! So as a result of all these the blog suffered inactivity too.


And now, with my lil one being fond of watching me cook, right from the time he's 2 months old, I am loving to churn out different things - cooking and baking. He loves to sit in his little chair, earlier in his bouncing chair, watching me talk, and sing and cook or bake. I hand him a light weight, baby safe cutlery or a colorful wrapper or something that keeps him occupied for a few minutes and quickly dish out something. Most of the times, I had not been able to feed the little one what I cook as he was too small, but now, I guess I can start giving him a taste of many of the delicious stuff that i prepare.   


So, coming to the recipe of this post, these are rottis/flatbread made of fine semolina. The semolina is cooked first in water and then, kneaded when still warm and rolled to rotis and cooked on a skillet. It does not require any oil for cooking except for a few drops that are used for kneading the dough. The resulting rotti is soft, almost melt in the mouth, that goes along well with many curries and gravies. It is similar to the Ubbu rotti prepared with rice flour but a bit easier that them for kneading and rolling. 


Well, don't get scared to attempt these reading the steps, it is not very difficult than making normal chapathis/roties... just a step or two more... But the result will be totally worth it.... So here's how we make it....   

Rave Rotti / Sooji Roti / Semolina Flatbread

Preparation time : 15 min 
Cooking time : 5 min for the dough and 2 min for each rotti 
Makes : 10-12

Ingredients:
Fine Semolina (Chiroti rava/sooji) - 2 cups 
Maida / Whole wheat flour - for dusting
Water - 2 cups (This usually works fine but you'll know the exact amount required for your sooji after one trial)
Salt - ½ tsp, or as per taste
Cooking Oil - 2 tsp

Method:
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, boil water by adding salt and a few drops of oil
  • Once water starts boiling, add semolina and let it remain for 4-5 minutes on medium low flame
  • At the end of it, take a strong ladle and continuously stir, avoiding lumps. A wooden one works better
  • Turn off the heat and continue mixing as much as possible. The resulting dough should be similar to that of papad dough - soft, but non sticky
  • Let it cool for a couple of minutes so that it can be handled
  • Divide the dough into 3-4 parts and knead it well, smearing a few drops of oil. See notes below for easier ways.
  • Once the dough is kneaded well into a soft but firm dough, take small lemon sized balls and roll it using rolling pin like a chapatti/roti. Use a little amount of maida or atta for dusting.
  • Heat a griddle on high flame and cook the rolled rotti on both sides by flipping. Ensure not to brown the rotti. Appearance of light brownish spots indicates that it is done.
  • Repeat the same with rest of the dough
  • Serve hot with some palya/gojju/chutney
Notes:
  • To avoid your palms getting burnt while kneading the hot dough, fill it in thick polythene and cover it in a towel / thick cloth and knead it over it. This way a smooth and soft dough will be ready in a jiffy
  • Knead it, make into balls before you start rolling. This saves time and effort, and it gets easier to roll and then cook simultaneously. Or you can roll all of them first and then cook them one after the other. To stack up the rolled rotis make sure you've dusted them well, to prevent sticking to each other 
  • The better you knead, the easier it is to roll. If the dough is not kneaded well, while rolling the rottis start cracking and gets difficult to handle

3 comments:

  1. love rave rotti.. my way is little different. will try out some time this way..

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow sum, its really healthy and looks like it will go well with south indian as well as north indian curries ..now that Atharv has started going to montessori I need such healthy n interesting options. will try this one and let you know :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)