Friday, December 7, 2012

Cornflakes Cookies


When a friend here was travelling back to Bangalore, we decided to send with him some goodies to folks at home. Chocolates and candies were bought for little niece Hima, a hand knitted woolen hat was packed for FIL. And then I felt I needed to send something else too… they are missing us at home, and something else, home-made, would probably cheer them up a bit… so it was decided that I’d be baking something!


Cakes were out of choice as it’d reach them after at least 3-4 days. The next best thing was cookies. So there it was, I set about baking a large batch of cookies - cornflakes cookies it’d be. I started out with Racheal Allen’s basic cookie dough (which I've tried a couple of times with great success) but realized it had way too much of fat in it. Of course it’d taste good, but it’d take almost half of my half a kilo pack of butter!! Oh well, that seemed too much!!


My mom used to make these cookies, but I didn’t want to trouble her as she was touring some place with her friend. So I dared to make my own recipe!! Voila!! It did come out good… Crispy too, as I added baking powder, and reduced the butter by about half. The corn flakes also add to the texture. And I was glad I could experiment something myself!


Here’s the recipe…

Cornflakes Cookies

Preparation Time: 15 min
Baking Time: ~20 min
Makes: About 30
Source: Self experiment

Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour / Maida – 2 Cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup (increase to 1 cup if you like it very sweet)
Butter - 100 g at room temperature
Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Corn flakes - 3/4 Cup, crushed
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Milk – 3-4 Tbsp
Vanilla - 1 tsp


Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
  • Mix baking soda and salt to flour and sieve a couple of times for even distribution
  • Cream butter and sugar till creamy
  • Add in flour mixture and mix well; the mixture will be crumbly
  • Mix in 1/2 cup of crushed corn flakes
  • Add milk little by little and gather to form a firm dough
  • Pinch in big marble sized balls of the dough, roll it between your palms to a sphere and press it to flatten
  • Press it on the remaining corn flakes mixture to coat the top of the cookie with it
  • Repeat with the rest of the dough
  • Arrange on a lined and greased baking sheet leaving gap between the rows
  • Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes
  • Cool completely and store in airtight containers.

Notes:
  • Roll out cookies to uniform thickness for uniform baking
  • If using multiple trays, flip the trays once in between
This post is for the Bake-A-Thon event by Champa. These are the other co-bloggers baking with me... 
ChampaSrivalli JettiPriya SureshVeena Krishna Kumar and Preeti Deo.

4 comments:

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)