Monday, April 12, 2010

Kusubalakki Paddu / Gundpongalu


Usually, all idli and dosa batters that need fermenting are prepared by MIL. And the ones that can be used instantly after grinding come under my department. This time I came across this very simple recipe for Paddu/Gundpongalu/Indian-aebliskever in a co-blogger’s blog and was tempted to try it out. I thought its high time I pitch into this area of cooking too :)
The list of ingredients being very simple, I went ahead and soaked for it. But again, it was my MIL who ended up getting it ground, since I had to go out for something. My wish of grinding a batter didn’t get fulfilled yet!
Anyway, the paddu came out pretty well, and we were quite impressed with the taste. (My MIL usually uses a different set of ingredients for her version, which I’ll post some other time.)
Kusubalakki Paddu


Preparation time : 30 min, excluding time for soaking
Cooking time : 20 min
Serves : 5-6

Ingredients:
Boiled rice/Kusubalakki - 4 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Salt - ¾ th tsp or according to taste
Cooking oil - to brush the Aebliskever pan

Method:
Batter:
• Soak the rice & dal in enough amount of water for 6-8hours.
• Grind the rice-dal mixture in a mixie or grinder and prepare a smooth batter.
• Batter should be like a thick milkshake. Let the batter ferment overnight or for about 8-10hours. Batter would be doubled by then.

Paddu:

• Add salt to the batter & mix well.
• Heat the paddu pan/aebliskever pan. When the pan is hot, add few drops of oil to each mould.
• Pour ½ Tbsp of batter to each mould or ¾ th the mould and cook on medium heat for a minute.
• Turn the balls and cook on the other side too, till it becomes golden brown
• Serve hot with a coconut chutney.

Tips n Tricks:
• Do not cook the paddu on high flame. They’ll not be done in the middle but get brown on the outer layer

Variations:
• Chopped onion, coriander and ginger can be added to the batter

6 comments:

  1. Love gundupangalu and chutney!! They look crisp and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite snack looks yummy with chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks yummy! I normally make it with leftover idli/dosa batter. But readying the batter just to make this is an even better idea ;)
    You have a lovely space! Keep going. Do visit my space too when you get time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make separate batter for gundu pongal. But, I have never tried it with parboiled rice. My kids love these and can finish it off without any fuss particularly if I give them ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ! dropped in to see the "PADDU" .. fab pics and a nice blog too ! Please also visit mine sometime :)
    Cheers
    Mom Chef
    http://itsnotmadrasi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)